Vegan Swiss Chard Frittata is a twist on the traditional frittata that is made with eggs. If you miss having a frittata or quiche back when you weren’t vegan or eating plant based, this is a go to recipe. This is a perfect dish for a brunch or for dinner with a salad.
How do you replace the egg? Tofu was used as a substitute for the egg replacement. Tofu has a similar texture to eggs and you can season the tofu batter as you like. The tofu batter is mixed with seasonings and nutritional yeast to give it that cheesy flavor.
Another thing about the frittata, you can serve warm or at room temperature. It’s great to bring to a brunch!
What about Swiss chard?
Swiss chard is a leafy green that is low in calories and high in magnesium, iron and potassium. Taste wise it’s in between a spinach and kale when it comes to flavor and texture.
Quick Side Note… in this recipe, we cook the stems and the leaves separately. So when you prepare the greens, separate the stems from the leaves. The red stems take longer to cook than the leaves.
With this frittata you can really make it your own. You can swap out the Swiss chard with your favorite greens or whatever you have on hand like kale or spinach. Mix and match your greens. You can also add in the other veggies like bell peppers and onions. Plant based cooking is great because you can customize and be creative with different vegetables and seasoning. Use tofu as the base or the egg replacement.
Ingredients for this Frittata:
- Firm Tofu
- Swiss Chard (Easily swap in spinach, kale or your favorite green)
- Grape Tomatoes
- Nutritional Yeast
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
How to make Swiss Chard Frittata
Step 1: Prep the Veggies:
Wash the Swiss chard and keep both the leaves and the stems. Chop the stems into small pieces and the leaves cut into strips. Mince the garlic and halve the cherry tomatoes.
Step 2: Sauté time!
To a medium hot pan add in the chopped stems and sauté for 6-8 minutes with a little water.
Next, add in the leaves and the minced garlic and saute for about 2 minutes until the leaves are soft. Set aside.
Step 3: Tofu Egg/Batter
Crumble the tofu and add to the blender or food processor. Next add in the rest of the ingredients for the tofu/egg batter.
Blend until smooth.
Pour the tofu mixture into the skillet over Swiss chard and fold in together. Spoon into a lightly greased or oil spray 9 inch round pie dish or springform pan. Smooth out the batter in the pan. Scatter tomatoes halves evenly over the frittata.
Pour the tofu mixture into the skillet over Swiss chard and fold in together. Spoon into a lightly oil sprayed 9 inch round pie dish or springform pan. (Can omit if you want to make oil free) Smooth out the batter in the pan. Scatter tomato halves evenly over the frittata.
Optional. If you sautéed the veggies in an oven safe pan, then you can bake the frittata directly in that pan instead of transferring the frittata.
Bake the in the oven for 40 minutes until firm and golden on top. Allow too cool for 10 minutes.
Refrigerate any left overs. This dish is good in the refrigerator 4-5 days.
Customize this frittata with greens you have on hand and add in extra veggies you may have like bell peppers or red onions to add to the top of the frittata before you bake it.
Any questions on vegan substitutes or how to swap out ingredients to make a recipe plant based? Comment Below and lets figure it out!
- Blender or food processor
- 1 bunch Swiss chard about 1 lb including the stems and leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-8 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup water (oil free saute)
- salt and pepper to taste optional
For the Blender or food processor (make the batter/egg substitute)
- 14 oz Firm tofu (drained, no need to press)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch replace with arrowroot
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp unsweetned non dairy milk, (soy, almond, etc)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- For the Swiss chard, slice the stems thin into small chunks and for the leaves slice into ribbons. To a medium hot saute pan add the Swiss chard stems to the pan with a 1-2 tbsp of water and saute for about 7-8 minutes. Add in the Swiss chard leaves and garlic. Cook until the leaves are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Tofu Batter (Egg Substitute)
- In a blender/food processor add in the tofu, non dairy milk and the rest of the ingredients and blend to combine until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the skillet over Swiss chard and fold in together. Spoon into a lightly oil sprayed 9 inch round pie dish or springform pan. (Optional, can omit if you want to make oil free). Smooth out the batter in the pan. Scatter tomatoes halves evenly over the frittata. Optional. If you sauteed the veggies in an oven safe pan, you can bake the frittata directly in that pan instead of trasferrring the frittata.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until firm amd golden on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.