Vegan stuffing is one of my favorite things to eat on earth and I only make it once a year at Thanksgiving! But if I had my way I would eat it a lot more of it throughout the the year. Stuffing was always my favorite dish at Thanksgiving and I would always make it with my mom.
To make it vegan I swapped out sausage with vegan sausage and added in some mushrooms, tamari and vegetable broth for added flavor. I think the spices are what bring together the stuffing to taste so delicious.
Vegan Stuffing Ingredients:
- Vegetable Broth
- Vegan Sausage (Field Roast Brand was used in this recipe)
- Poultry Seasoning (no poultry is used in the seasoning, its just what they call it. Poultry Seasoning is made of sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, nutmeg)
- Loaf of crusty bread of choice
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Let’s make the stuffing!
To a hot sauce pan add the onions, mushrooms and celery and a splash of vegetable broth and sauté. You will be using the vegetable broth throughout this recipe a little at a time to prevent the ingredients from sticking. Sauté for about 7 minutes. Then you will season the vegetables with tamari and red pepper flakes and stir. You will then set this mixture aside.
To the same pan you will add the vegan sausage that is cut into small pieces with a little bit of vegetable broth to sauté for about 5 minutes or until browned.
Once the vegan sausage is browned you can mix back into the pan the onion, mushroom, celery mixture. Stir all the ingredients together. Next you will add poultry seasoning and about a 1/4 cup of vegetable broth.
You can add this mixture to a bowl or a casserole dish and combine the bread cubes to create the stuffing.
You can use a spoon or your hand to mix the bread cubes, the vegetable broth (not heated) and vegetable sausage mixture together.
Add to a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
You can make this day before the holiday and it will taste great! The challenge is not sampling the dish ahead of time:).
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram and tag me with @plantbasedfoodylife … I’d love to see what you make!!!
- 2 cup celery thinly chopped about 5-7 stalks
- 2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, minced about 1 cup
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning made of thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, nutmeg
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce substitute or omit
- 3 cup vegan sauce minced (small pieces) Field Roast , Smoked Apple & Sage (use your favorite) or omit all together.
- 1 cup water
- 1 loaf of bread, baguette or crusty bread of choice about 3 cups bread cubes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven 375 degrees
- To a large medium hot pan add the celery, onions and mushrooms with a splash of water or vegetable broth and saute for about 7 minutes. Add additional liquid if anything begins to stick.
- Add in tamari and red pepper flakes and stir for about 1 minute.
- Set aside the celery, onion and mushroom mixture and add to bowl or plate.
- To the same pan add in the small chuncks of the vegan sausage and saute until brown for about 5 minutes. Add in a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth to keep from sticking.
- Add the celery, onion, mushroom back to the pan with vegan sausage and mix together. Add in poultry seasoning and mix together with 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and mix together for about 2-3 minutes.
- To a large bowl or casserole dish add the celery, onion, mushroom and vegan sausage to the bowl. Next add in cubed bread pieces and mix together. Add in 1 cup vegetable broth and with you hands or a spoon mix the bread and vegetable mixture together. The bread will absorb the liquid. You can additional 1/2 cup of liquid if the bread is dry.
- Add to a casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Leave a Reply