This is one of my favorite dishes! Vegan Stuffed shells made with a tofu ricotta cheese. As a kid, stuffed shells were one of my favorite foods but it wasn’t vegan at the time. This recipe knocks it out of the park and brings back great memories.
I’ve been asked many times, where to start when going vegan. I usually suggest they start with the foods they like and make a vegan version. These vegan stuffed shells with tofu ricotta cheese was a great find for me. I love pasta and cheese so to make a vegan version of this dish, that taste delicious, was a great gift for me.
This ricotta cheese made from tofu hits it spot with both flavor and texture.
What do you need to make Vegan Stuffed Shells with Tofu Ricotta Cheese?
- Tofu Ricotta (Don’t worry we have a recipe for this that you can make in advance)
- Tomato sauce (homemade of store bought)
- Pasta shells
Step 1: Prepare the tofu ricotta
The tofu can be made in advance and the ingredients include:
- Firm tofu
- Lemon Juice
- Nutritional Yeast
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
Step 2: Cook your pasta
Cook the pasta shells per the package. I partially cooked pasta shells about 9 minutes as per the package instructions. You can use any type of pasta shell from a whole wheat or a gluten free pasta depending on your preference.
Step 3: Adding the cheese to the Vegan Stuffed Shells!
How do you stuff the shells?
Gently, open the shell and put about 1-2 tablespoons of the cheese into the shell and add to a baking dish. Fill each of the shells one at a time and add to a baking dish.
You can line the shells up in the dish in individual rows. Any left over tofu ricotta can be stored in the refrigerator. You can top the dish off with the extra cheese or save for another dish like a pizza topping or added to spaghetti.
Step 4: Adding the Tomato Sauce to Vegan Stuffed Shells
Once you have stuffed all the shells you can add the pasta sauce on top of the stuffed shells. You can use your favorite tomato sauce whether it is homemade or store bought. You will want to cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Once the stuffed shells are complete they are ready to serve. This is great to serve with a side salad or some steamed broccoli. You could also make it in advance and reheat.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram mention me @plantbasedfoodylife or #plantbasedfoodylife …. I’d love to see what you make!!!
Tofu Ricotta Ingredients:
- 1 block firm tofu, finely crumbled
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 cups fresh spinach, steamed, chopped and drained well
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt optional
- 2 cups Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- 1 12 oz box Jumbo Shells I used Barilla Jumbo Shells, you can use your pasta of choice.
- 1 12 oz jar Tomato Pasta Sauce approx 2 cups of tomamto sauce
- Remove the tofu from package and drain the tofu. Wrap with paper towel and place on a plate or bowl apply pressure to remove excess liquid. You can wrap the tofu in a paper towel and add a can or light pressure to release the excess liquid.
- Steam the the spinach until the spinach is wilted.
- While the spinach is steaming. Crumble the tofu into a bowl. Add tahini, shallots and nutritional yeast and combine. Then add garlic, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Mix together and add salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach is steamed, use a stainer to remove any excess liquid. Press the spinach with a fork into the strainer to remove excess liquid.
- Fold in the steamed spinach to the tofu mixture. Break up the spinach as you fold the spinach in. The mixture should not be too wet. If it is too wet the tofu or the spinach was not drained well enough.The Tofu Ricotta can be used for lasagna, pizza, manicotti or whatever you would use ricotta for.
Stuffed Shells with Tofu Ricotta Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to the box. I choose to partially cook the pasta shells for 9 minutes as per the box indicated for partially cooked pasta shells. Once the pasta is tender, drain the pasta in the a colindar.
- Add 1-2 table spoons of the tofu ricotta cheese to each indiviudal pasta shell. Add each stuffed pasta shell to a baking pan. Once all the shells have been stuffed and added to the baking dish, you can pour the tomatoe sauce on top of the shells.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy.