Vegan mayo is super simple to make! I wanted to make a dish that called for vegan mayo and I was out so I decided to make my own. It turned out pretty good! Also, I was able to make it oil free, which I love. I swapped out the oil with cashews and it taste very similar. This mayonnaise is also cholesterol free!
Traditional mayo is made with egg yolks, vinegar, lemon juice and spices. I swapped out the egg yolks with the cashews. Store bought vegan mayonnaise is typically made with a lot of oil. This mayo can be used for any of your mayonnaise based dishes like chickpea salad, coleslaw, or salad dressing. My favorite is sriracha mayo!
Ingredients for Vegan Mayonnaise
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Hot Water
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Dijon Mustard
How to make Vegan Mayo.
Step 1: There are two options when preparing the cashews. Soak the cashews for 2-4 hours in water, or soak the the cashews in hot water for about 20 minutes.
Step 2: To a blender, add in all the ingredients and blend together until smooth.
Step 3: Use it immediately or keep it in the fridge for a few hours until it’s cold. Keep leftovers in an airtight container, or in a jar in the fridge for about 4-7 days.
What can you use this mayo for?
Add the vegan mayo to your favorite veggie burger or use in a sandwich.
Use the mayo to make an aiolo sauce which is made with oil and garlic cloves. Switch out the oil with vegan mayo and mix with the garlic cloves. You can use this mayo as a base for your favorite creamier dressings like caesar dressing or creamy italian dressing. My favorite is the sriracha mayo dressing (depending on the day😀).
Your favorite coleslaw recipe!
You can use this vegan mayo for any dish that you would use with traditional mayonnaise. It's also great if you want to make a white sauce.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard to taste
- ¼ teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt too taste
- Two options with the cashews. Soak the cashews for 2-4 hours in water. Or soak the cashews in hot water for about 20 minutes.
- To a blender add in all the ingredients and blend together until smooth.
- Use it immediately or keep it in the fridge for a few hours until it’s cold and thickens. Keep leftovers in an airtight container or a jar in the fridge for about 4-7 days. The mayo will thicken in the refrigerator.