Vegan Chewy Chocolate Brownies are like magic because they disappear so quickly in my house! What I like about these brownies is the texture and taste. It goes well topped with with a vanilla cashew cream and some raspberries.
What’s the secret behind these brownies?
The secret is a can of black beans… the black beans keep the brownies moist and you would never know that they’re even in there. Seriously! These brownies are also gluten free, made with oat flour and mixed with almond butter.
What are the ingredients for these Vegan Chewy Chocolate Brownies?
- Cocoa Powder
- Oat flour
- Black Beans from the can
- Almond Butter
- Dates (Pitted)
- Maple Syrup
- Flax egg
- Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
Tips on making this recipe:
- You can make your own oat flour, its quick and a lot cheaper.
If you want to make your own oat flour, it’s pretty simple. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oats to your food processor and blend to create 1 cup of oat flour. Store the extra in your pantry in a sealed container.
- How to soften the dates? Add your dates to a bowl and add some warm water. Let them soak for about 10 minutes or until softened. It’s very important to remove the pits before adding to your food processor!
- Can’t have almond butter and looking for a substitute? You can substitute with your nut butter of choice or you can use a ripe banana if you want to make it nut free. I’ve also made the batter without any nut or banana and it tastes delicious.
- What is a flax egg? Flax eggs are great substitutes for eggs and helps bind the brownies. To make a flax egg you need 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp of water mixed and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Why use parchment paper vs spaying with oil? Easy clean up and the brownies don’t need the extra fat. I find it just to lift the brownies right out of the pan before I cut them up and serve them.
How do you make these vegan brownies?
- Prep time is about 15-2o minutes to get the brownies in the oven.
- Get all the ingredients together and add to the food processor.
Blend for about 1-2 minutes. You can sample the batter to see if you have the desired sweetness.
Add the batter to a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Spread the batter evenly across the pan.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 19-20 minutes. Allow to cool
These vegan chewy chocolate brownies are one of my favorite desserts to make. They taste delicious and are filled with a lot of healthy ingredients like beans, flaxseed, dates, oats, and the nut butter. Adding more beans, flaxseed and oats to your diet is an easy way to add in some fiber and protein.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram , and mention @plantbasedfoodylife or #plantbasedfoodylife …. I’d love to see what you make!!!
- food processor
- 1 cup oat flour Use 1 cup of old fashioned oats and blend in a food processor to create the oat flour
- 1 15 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 7 dates, pitted and softened, soften in warm water for 5 minutes to soften approx. 1/2 cup of dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter substitute butter of choice, you can also omitt the nut butter
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed, 3 tbsp of water and stir and let set for 5 minutes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 11x7 baking dish with parchement paper.
- Add the oat flour, cocoa, baking powder to the food processor and blend for about 20 seconds or until blended
- Add the black beans, maple syrup, almond butter, flax egg and salt and blend for about 20 seconds.
- Next add in the water. Blend for about 30-60 seconds or until blended.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the dish. Spread the batter evenly in the dish
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick or knife to see if the brownies are finished. Let the brownies cool for about 10 minutes and serve.