Vegan Chickpea Spinach Patties have a tangy flavor and are a great substitute for burgers. If you are new to making your own burgers or patties these are a great place to start with ingredients you probably have in your pantry. One can of chickpeas makes six patties!
Tired of eating processed vegan substitutes and want something quick to make? These are really good patties or burgers that come together really quickly. It's amazing how many different meals you can create from a can of chickpeas. This is a simple patty or veggie burger to make.
So What Are The Ingredients?
- Spinach... or your favorite greens
- Nutritional Yeast
- Old fashioned Oats
- Aquafaba (liquid from the can of chickpeas)
- Tamari... which can substitute soy sauce
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Chickpeas are rock stars when eating a plant based diet:
Chickpeas are a great source of protein, fiber and they help lower cholesterol. And they will fill you up.
They have a mild taste so they're great to use as a base for burgers, a creamy hummus, or blend in a soup for a creamy texture. You can simply roast them for a quick snack or top your salad off right from the can.
You can create a mock tuna salad by mashing them up adding in a few other ingredients.
Using oats beyond just oatmeal:
Oats can be used as a binder when making patties or veggie burgers. When you're making a veggie burger, one of the problems people run into is having the burger stay together. Using oats, oat flour, bread crumbs, rice or quinoa can be used as a binder for your burgers.
I prefer oats, they're easy to have on hand, they're cheap and you don't have to prepare them in advance like rice or quinoa. To make quick oat flour you can just add the oats to a food processor.
From a health perspective, oats are a great source of fiber, they help lower cholesterol levels and you'll feel fuller longer.
How to prepare the vegan chickpea patties?
All you need is a bowl, fork or potato masher, and the ingredients to prepare the patties.
In the bowl, add the drained chickpeas and save the liquid (aquafaba) which will be used later in this recipe. Mash the chickpeas until smooth. It's ok to have large chickpeas mixed in. Add in the oats and stir. Then, add in the liquid a little at a time to form the mixture. You don't want the mixture to become too wet.
Next add in the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
Form the patties into 4 inch sliders. You can also create smaller patties if you want to create appetizers.
Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 20 minutes. Turn halfway through until browned on each side.
What I like about these chickpea patties is that you get to see the whole ingredients so you know what you are eating. You see the chickpeas, the oat flakes and the green pieces of the spinach.
Are the Chickpea Spinach Patties freezer friendly?
Yes, they are. After you prepare the patties. Wrap the patties in parchment paper and freeze. You can bake the patties at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, turning half way through.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram and tag me with @plantbasedfoodylife … I’d love to see what you make!!!
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas save the liquid, aquafaba
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped substitute any type of greens
- ¼ cup aquafaba substitute water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon tamari susbstitite soy sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced about 1 tbsp
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone sheet
- In a latge bowl, mash the chickpeas until smooth. It is ok to have some larger chickpeas
- Add in the oatmeal and nutritional yeast.
- Add in the liquid (aquafaba, water or broth). Mix together. The mixture shoud be smooth and not too watery to form into patties
- Add in the rest of the ingredients together and mix. You can taste the the mixture to see if you need any additional flavor like extra paprkia or a pinch of pepper.
- Form the patties into 3 inch patties and about 1 inch thick. Add to the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn half way through and brown on each side.