Looking for an alternative to your tuna salad or your “chicken of the sea”. Here is a recipe to create tuna salad with using chickpeas instead. It is just as good as the original and simple to make.
This Happens to be Healthy Because:
Chickpeas or as they are also called Garbanzo beans are legumes that are high in fiber and protein. 1 Cup of cooked chickpeas contain 15 grams of protein. Including chickpeas in your diet is a great way to satiate yourself and keep you full especially when you want to lose weight or maintain your weight.
- 3 Cups of cooked Chickpeas or 1 Can of Chickpeas (28 oz can) or two small cans.
- 2 to 3 tsp of diced red onion (to taste)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (2 to 3 Stalks)
- 1/4 of of diced pickles (2 to 3 pickles)
- 2 tbsp of nori flakes (blend nori sheets if you can’t find flakes)
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayaonaise or Cashew Sour cream
1. In a large bowl, take 3 cups of chickpeas and put in a bowl. If using canned chickpeas drain and rinse prior to putting in the bowl.
2. Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or press with a fork to break the up.
3. Next, finally dice onions, celery, and pickles and add to chickpeas. Add nori flakes, salt and pepper and mix the ingredients together.
4. Note* if you can’t find Nori flakes, you can take a sheet of nori and grind it. Nori gives it that “sea taste” and added nutrients. (I used my Nutri bullet and grinded it.)
5. Mix in the vegan mayonaisse or Cashew Sour cream. Mix to combine and taste for seasoning. If dry, you can add in more vegan mayonnaise or Cashew Sour cream.
6. Serve in a sandwich or pita bread with lettuce and diced tomato or use as a dip with crackers. You can also use in lettuce wraps!!!