Tofu Ricotta Cheese is my go to recipe for my favorite pasta dishes like stuffed shells, lasagna, or even as a pizza topping. Prior to my vegan life, I loved cheese. This recipe has made it possible for me and my family to still have our favorite cheesy dishes but in a vegan, healthy and delicious way.
The vegan ricotta made from tofu, has a texture which is very similar to a traditional crumbly ricotta cheese. Once you add in the seasoning, and the flavor from the garlic, shallots and the tahini, the flavor all comes together.
This ricotta cheese made from tofu hits the spot with flavor and the texture.
What is great about this tofu ricotta cheese?
- You can make this tofu ricotta cheese in advance. Just keep in the refrigerator.
- You can top off homemade pizza
- You can also make a delicious lasagna with this cheese.
- Pasta dishes can come together quickly if you have the cheese already made
- Make it part of your meal prepping for the week for easy pizza or pasta dishes
What are the ingredients?
- Firm Tofu
- Lemon Juice
- Nutritional Yeast
- Salt & Pepper
Tips on working with tofu
It is important to drain as much liquid as you can from the tofu. You want the texture of the tofu to be crumbly when you are making the vegan ricotta cheese. To make it easier, you can buy a tofu press if you want to drain the excess liquid from the tofu. I have enough gadgets in my house that I use a heavy can and paper towels.
Basically, you wrap the tofu in paper bowl and apply a sauce can or can of beans and allow the pressure of the can to release the excess liquid. You may have to wrap the tofu 1-2 times with a paper towel to release the liquid. You can do this as you prep the rest of the dish.
Steps in making this Tofu Ricotta for Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Prep the tofu
- Steam the spinach
- While the spinach is being steamed you can mince the shallots and garlic, and prepare the other ingredients.
Once the tofu and the excess liquid has been drained, you want to crumble the tofu into a large bowl. Add the shallots, nutritional yeast and tahini and gently fold together the ingredients.
The next step in the recipe is to add in the garlic, lemon juice, grated nutmeg and salt and pepper. Then you want to gently fold all the ingredients together.
Once you have those ingredients combined you’ll want to add in the spinach.
Once the spinach has been steamed, you will want to remove the excess water. Add the spinach to a strainer with a fork and press out any additional liquid. You’ll want to remove as much liquid as you can from the spinach, so the ricotta doesn’t get soggy.
Once you have those ingredients combined, you’ll want to add in the spinach. Fold the spinach with rest of the ingredients and your tofu ricotta cheese is complete.
Once the tofu ricotta is complete you can add it to your favorite dish or place in the refrigerator.
Below are some recipes where you can use this tofu ricotta cheese for stuffed shells and lasagna.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram mention me at @plantbasedfoodylife or #plantbasedfoodylife …. I’d love to see what you make!!!
Tofu Ricotta Ingredients:
- 1 block firm tofu, finely crumbled
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 cups fresh spinach, steamed, chopped and drained well
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt optional
- Remove the tofu from package and drain the tofu. Wrap with paper towel and place on a plate or bowl apply pressure to remove excess liquid. You can wrap the tofu in a paper towel and add a can or light pressure to release the excess liquid.
- Steam the the spinach until the spinach is wilted.
- While the spinach is steaming. Crumble the tofu into a bowl. Add tahini, shallots and nutritional yeast and combine. Then add garlic, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Mix together and add salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach is steamed, use a stainer to remove any excess liquid. Press the spinach with a fork into the strainer to remove excess liquid.
- Fold in the steamed spinach to the tofu mixture. Break up the spinach as you fold the spinach in. The mixture should not be too wet. If it is too wet the tofu or the spinach was not drained well enough.The Tofu Ricotta can be used for lasagna, pizza, manicotti or whatever you would use ricotta for.