This Tomato Rice Soup recipe is mixed with fresh basil and has a delicious flavor. And you can create it within 30 minutes! If you grew up eating tomato soup as a kid, this will bring up some good memories. The soup includes fresh garlic, cooked brown rice and canned diced tomatoes mixed with fresh basil and oregano.
I like dishes with simple ingredients that are easy to find in the kitchen that only need a few ingredients. Having canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste can make a quick meal. You can serve it with a side of garlic bread or small salad and dinner is served.
Side note: If you leave out the rice in this soup you can use the tomato soup as a Marinara sauce for your favorite pasta dishes.
Ingredients for the soup:
- Tomato Paste
- Diced Tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Maple Syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste (optional)
How to make Tomato Rice Soup:
To a hot soup pan, add the garlic and 2 tbsp water. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Add in the tomato paste and stir. You can add a little bit of water to the tomato paste and add garlic if it begins to stick.
Add in the oregano and red pepper flakes and stir for 1 minute.
If you don’t like red pepper flakes you can omit from the recipe.
Add in the diced tomatoes, water, tamari and maple syrup.
With a potato masher or fork you can mash the tomatoes (optional). Bring to a boil and turn to a medium simmer.
Turn to a low simmer and add in the fresh basil.
Add in the cooked rice. This recipe uses brown rice but you can use white rice.
Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve
Also, this soup goes really well with garlic bread for dipping!
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram and tag me with @plantbasedfoodylife … I’d love to see what you make!!!
- 4 garlic, minced t tbsp
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 cup brown rice, cooked
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a small stock pot, add the garlic and 2 tbsp water. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir. Add in the oregano and red pepper flakes and stir for about 1 minute. Add a little water to prevent sticking.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and 2 cups of water. With a potato masher or fork you can mash the tomatoes (optional). Bring to a boil and turn to a low simmer about 10 minutes uncovered and stirring often.
- Add in the fresh basil and rice and stir. Cook for additional 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve