This Sweet Corn and Tomato flatbread was inspired at a restaurant my husband and I enjoy occasionally. It’s called Harvest and we ordered the sweet corn and tomato flatbread. It was delicious and I wanted to see if I could duplicate the flatbread at home. The ingredients where pretty simple so I just swapped out a couple of things like replacing the lemon oil with fresh lemon juice. It turned out delicious.
Quick Tip: The menu listed the ingredients and I took a guess on how to create my own version. It started out as a vegan option on the menu so that made it even easier to recreate😃.
To make the recipe simpler, I used frozen corn instead of fresh corn and tomatoes that were on hand. I love fresh corn but it’s not always accessible year round so this was an easy way to create the flatbread using frozen corn. I like simple!
What Type of Flatbread?
You can use your favorite flatbread or pizza crust of choice. I found the whole wheat flatbread by Damascus Bakeries, called Baked Sense, at Costco. This whole wheat flatbread has 7 grams of fiber and 10 grams protein. This recipe is flexible, if you find a gluten free one you like that works too.
Ingredients for the Sweet Corn and Tomato Flatbread
- Frozen corn (can substitute fresh corn)
- Freshly Diced Tomatoes (Use your favorite tomatoes, vine tomatoes, heirloom, or cherry tomatoes)
- Fresh Basil
- Arugula (can substitute spinach, kale or green of choice)
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Flat Bread or Pizza Crust (can use gluten free bread or pizza crust)
How to make the Sweet Corn Puree for the Flatbread?
One ingredient, frozen corn plus a little bit of water. You could also use an unsweetened dairy free milk for a creamy texture.
Add in 1 cup of frozen corn into the food processor with the S blade and blend for a couple of seconds. Add in a 1/4 cup of water to help blend the corn into a smooth puree. You may add in additional water if necessary. You don’t want it to become too liquidity. The texture should be close to baby food.
Side Note: You can also use fresh cooked corn to make the puree, especially in the summer time. Also, you can freeze any remaining corn puree.
Let’s Assemble the Flatbread!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep your corn puree and chop the veggies and greens.
- To the flatbread apply a thin layer of corn puree. And sprinkle on corn, tomatoes, arugula and basil. Squeeze lemon juice over the flatbread. About 1/2 tbsp over each piece.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the bread browns.
- 2 flatbreads or one pizza crust
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn save 1/2 cup for the flat bread topping
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes tomatoes on the vine, heirloom, cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup arugula, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly slices
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste optional
- Preheat oben to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
Sweet Corn Puree
- Add one cup of frozen corn to the food processor with and S blade. (Save the remaing corn for the flatbread toppings.) Pulse for a couple of 5-6 seconds to blend
- Add in 1/4 cup of water or nondairy milk to create a creamy texture and blend. Scrap the sides of the food processor to help blend the puree. Add in a additional liquid to helpd create the puree if neccessary. You want a thick texture like baby food.
- Set aside to make the flat bread.
Sweet Corn and Tomato Flatbread Assembly
- Take the flatbread and spread a thin layer of the sweet corn puree.
- Sprinkle on a thin layer of the chopped arugulas, tomatoes, corn and basil. Squeeze lemon juice over the flatbread. About 1/2 tbsp over each piece.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flatbread to the bakong and bake in the oven 15-20 minutes.