One of the foods I loved the most as a kid is Mac & Cheese. I loved the creamy texture and tangy sauce. But dairy doesn’t work for me, so I thought that I would have to give up pasta with rich cheesy creamy sauce. But that is not the case!!
You can do so much with nuts, and especially with cashews, to still have the cheese loving experience. It might sound nuts but it’s possible.
This mac & cheese is so simple to make and very kid-friendly. This recipe is also oil-free and made with gluten-free pasta. The trick to oil-free cooking is to make sure you have a hot pan so the food doesn’t stick. You can add a little water or vegetable broth to keep the food from sticking.
Feel free to use any pasta of your choice.
Let me know what you think!! Comment below if you have any questions or comments!!
This Happens to be Healthy Because:
Cashews are naturally cholesterol free and contain good amounts of healthy fats, protein and fiber. Replacing nuts with animal fats is a good way to maintain and reduce weight and protect your heart. Spinach is nutrient dense and low in calories. This is great for the waistline.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 cup boiling water
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 package gluten-free pasta (or pasta of your choice)
1. Soak cashews in water for 2 hours or overnight.
2. For a no-oil sauté, use a skillet on medium heat. Add shallots and tbsp. of water or vegetable broth to sauté until translucent. Add garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until soft. Add the spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted. If at anytime, the food starts to stick add a little water or broth. Set aside.
3. Drain the cashews and put in the Vitamix. Add miso paste, lemon juice, garlic powder, black pepper, nutritional yeast, boiling water and red pepper flakes. Blend in Vitamix for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Season taste.
4. Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain.
5. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and pour the cashew cheese sauce over the pasta and stir. Top the mac & chees with the spinach mixture and lightly fold into the mac and cheese. Ready to serve.
Optional: Add diced red pepper to top the dish. Spinach can be substituted with sautéd kale or other greens.