Roasted tomatoes with chickpeas and rice. This makes home cooking easy. Have you ever heard the expression, KISS…Keep it simple silly. That’s what this dish is about. Rice, beans and some veggies… very simple and easy.
And here’s a simple substitution for this dish:
- Mixed rice swapped for brown rice, quinoa, or couscous
- Roasted tomatoes swapped for roasted veggies like bell pepper… (I like the roasted tomatoes for the sweet flavor)
- Swap spinach for kale, swiss chard, or whatever green you like.
- Chickpeas swapped for kidney beans, black beans, butter beans etc.
Simple right… this is an easy way to try out new greens or beans you haven’t tried before.
Roasted Tomatoes with Chickpeas and Rice Recipe:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice (I used Royal Blend Mixed Rice but you can use brown rice)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 cup spinach
- 2 cups of halved tomatoes (I used campari tomatoes but cherry tomatoes work as well)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp of coconut amnios (substitute 1 tbsp of tamari)
Preheat oven 400 degrees. Halve tomatoes. Baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone sheets. Add the tomatoes to the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until roasted. Stir half way through at 15-20 minutes. (The tomatoes can be roasted in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to be used)
When the rice is complete, add in the tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, coconut aminos and stir.
The heat from the rice and tomatoes will wilt the spinach and warm the chick peas, then it’s ready to serve.
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice as option!
Home cooking is all about some simple ingredients with a few amount of simple steps.
Comment Below and let me know what you think! I would love your feedback.
P.S. Cooking can be a way of being creative. If you don’t like an ingredient or don’t have it hand… no worries. Substitute with the next best thing. Or, if need be just leave it out and you end up with a new dish all your own!
Follow me on Instagram for more vegan/plant based cooking ideas!