Who knew that one ingredient alone can taste so good? Sweet Potatoes!!!
I made a batch of roasted sweet potatoes and was able to get 4 meals out of them for 4 people. (1 Husband, 2 Teens and Myself!)
What did we eat with all these sweet potatoes?
- As a delicious side dish, I loved how the natural sugars caramelized
- Next day, I used them as a spread in a black bean burrito with salsa
- Had them for lunch on the 3rd day with a kale salad with chickpeas, red onion and sliced avocado.
- Even as a snack eaten cold from the refrigerator.
Who says that plant based eating is expensive?
The cost at my local store was $2.97 for 3 potatoes that were used for 4 meals that fed 4 people… Not bad!
Why am I telling you this?
First of all because they were so good I wanted to share with you the idea that cooking doesn’t have to be complicated and making delicious food doesn’t have to include a lot of ingredients.
This is another reason that you may love plant based eating as much as I do. The individual ingredients alone taste delicious whether they’re eaten raw, steamed, grilled, boiled etc. (I get that a raw potato would be hard to eat raw… but you get my point).
Beyond the delicious taste of sweet potatoes… here are some other reasons to eat sweet potatoes:
- Great source of fiber that can help keep you full and satisfied (Great for weight-loss)
- High in the antioxidant known as beta-carotene
- Great source for Vitamin A, another antioxidant and a link to anti-aging benefits
Simple Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
3-4 Sweet Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 Degrees. Wash the potatoes. Slice the sweet potatoes into 2″ chunks with the skin on. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking a sheet with parchment paper or silicone sheet.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until fork tender. Pierce with a fork at this time. Allow the natural sugar to caramelize.
Store in the refrigerator.
For other roasted veggie ideas click below:
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash Bowl
- Oil Free Vegetables for the Holidays!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- Rinse and clean sweet potatoes. With the skins on chop into 2 inch chunks
- Add the sweet potatoes to a lined baking sheet
- Roast in the oven until fork tender. Bake in the oven 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve. Refrigerate leftovers