This dish will make your house smell delicious. This is the perfect dish for any fall evening and for the holidays. It is a mixture of roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash mixed with a simple 3 ingredient Balsamic Dijon dressing over quinoa.
I love the rustic colors of the vegetables mixed with cranberries and walnuts. The toasted walnuts mixed with sweetness of the cranberries create a delicious flavor. Finishing the bowl with some pumpkin seeds for some added texture and color.
Chopping the veggies and roasting in the oven with a simple dressing. Pretty simple. You can make the quinoa in advance or substitute with rice.
Ingredients Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash Bowl:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Butter Nut Squash (whole or precut is fine)
- Walnuts (nuts of choice, pecans, pumpkin seeds, etc)
- Cranberries (sweet or unsweetened or raisins, your choice)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Balsamic Dijon Dressing (Only 3 Ingredients)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Maple Syrup (you can omit if not using sweetener)
Roasting the Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash
Prepare the brussel sprouts and the butter nut squash. For the Brussel Sprouts, trim the end and cut in half.
For the Butternut Squash there are 2 options. You can take the short cut (which I do at times) buy the butternut squash already cut in the grocery store. The second option is to purchase a whole butternut squash.
How to cut a Butternut Squash
- Chop off each end of the Butternut squash
- Peel the out side of the butternut squash
- Chop in half
- Scoop out the seeds and the center of the Butternut squash
- Slice into 1/2 inch slices or chunks.
- Ready to use.
If that is too much work, purchase pre-cut at the grocery store.😊
Next, mix the vegetables with Balsamic DijonSauce. You want to save 1/3 of the sauce to add to finished bowl. Only pour about 2/3 of the sauce on the vegetables.
Mix the vegetables with Balsamic Dijon Sauce.
Add to a lined on baking tray.
Roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the chopped nuts and dried cranberries and bake in the oven for an additional 5- 7 minutes.
How to prepare your bowl?
Add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of the cooked quinoa to a bowl and topped with the roasted vegetable mixture. You can top your bowl with pumpkin seeds or add any remaining dressing.
The roasted vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator with the quinoa. Reheating the dish is simple. In order to reheat the dish, sauté the ingredients in a hot pan with a little water till hot. Meal prepping in advance the roasted vegetable and the quinoa makes for a quick meal.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram and tag me with @plantbasedfoodylife … I’d love to see what you make!!!
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts
- 1 lb butternut squash
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped substitute peacans or omit nut
- 1/4 cup cranberries sweetend or unsweetened.
- pinch pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt (optional) season to taste
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds optional
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parhment paper.
- Cook quinoa according to instructions and set aside.
- Trim the end of the Brussel sprouts and slice in half
- Peel the butter nut squash and remove the seeds. Chop the butter squash 1 inch pieces or cubes
- Add the brussel sprouts and the butternut squash to a bowl and toss with balsamic dijon sauce. Add in the salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the brussel sprouts and the butternut squash to the lined baking pan. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. The butternut squash should be tender. Remove from the oven and stir the vegetables and add in the chopped walnuts and crainberries and allow to cook for 5-7 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and prepare you bowl.
- To prepare an individuall bowl, add in the quinoa and top with Roasted Brussel sprouts and butternut squash mixture and topp with pumpkin seeds(optional)
- Option: You could mix together the cooked quinoa and the roasted vegetables together and serve.