Oil free sweet potato fries are pretty amazing and typically gone in a few minutes in my house. My kids love them and so do I. The fries are simple to make, baked in the oven and seasoned with garlic powder and smoked paprika.
Typically fries can be considered a no no! But it's not the potatoes fault! It's the oil that causes the problem. These fries are baked in the oven so no unnecessary oil or fat is added, but still tastes delicious.
The ingredients are simple. Grab some sweet potatoes plus a mixture of spices. You can also come up with your own combination of flavors, or just prepare the sweet potato fries plain and they still deliver great flavor.
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste.
How to prepare the sweet potato fries?
First preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line 1 to 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Depending on how many you make so you don't overcrowd the pan.
The first step is to slice up the sweet potatoes into fries. It's up to you if you want to leave the skins on.
I like to cut the sweet potato into a rectangle and trim of the sides. Slice the sweet potato in half. It's easier and safer to cut the potato when you can lie the potato flat on the cutting board. Cut the rectangle sweet potato into ¼ inch planks. Cut again to ¼" thick strips about 3" long. You'll want to make the fries similar in thickness so that they cook evenly.
For the seasoning for these fries, I used a combination of garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and mix together in a small bowl. Next, you can toss the fries in a bowl with seasoning and coat the fries. You can experiment with your favorite spices or even cook the sweet potato without any seasoning and they are delicious.
Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the seasoned fries and bake for 30-35 minutes, turning half way. To prevent overcrowding of the fries you can use a second lined baking sheet so the fries bake evenly and get crispy.
What do you dip your fries into?
You can use ketchup or your favorite condiments. For these fries, I used sweet sriracha dipping sauce that takes about 5 minutes to make. It is made with ½ cup vegan mayo, 1- 2 tablespoon sriracha and 1-2 tablespoon maple syrup... all mixed together.
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ salt to taste
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Line 1 to 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes (or leave the skins on is an option). Cut the potatoes in half and slice the sides to turn the sweet potato into a rectanglar shape. Slice into ¼ inch planks. Next slice length wise into ¼" strips or shape of a french fry. You want to have the fries to be similair size so they cook evenly.
- Add the fries to a bowl.
- For the seasoning for these fries, combine the garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and mix together in a small bowl. Add the mixed seasoning to the bowl and mix with the fries.
- Add the seasoned fries to the lined baking sheet. Try not to overcrowd the pan. Bake in the for 30-35 minutes and turning half way or until the fries are crispy.
- Serve right away.