This Oil Free Hummus is definitely part of my weekly meal prepping or batch cooking go to’s each week. Having something that taste delicious and is simple to make is what I like in a recipe.
Most of the hummus you find in the grocery store contains oil. This recipe below is so easy, has minimal ingredients, and you’ll have it ready in under 10 minutes. In addition, this oil free hummus last for about 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
How do you make a creamy hummus without using oil? Won’t it be dry? Answer…NO!
The secret is in the can of beans itself. You can use the liquid in the can which is called aquafaba. Aquafaba is the liquid that is created from the cooking of the beans. You can use aquafaba as an oil substitute to create the creaminess for the hummus. Aquafaba can also be used in baking for egg white substitutes and to create meringues and even marshmallows.
My go to snack that tastes delicious and is oil free. You won’t even miss it.
What to do with the hummus?
- A dip for veggies
- Roast a sweet potato and top it with hummus (One of my Favorites)
- Add to a wrap with some greens and cucumbers and sprouts
- Bake some corn tortilla and create chips for dipping
This recipe has 8 Ingredients:
- Can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- Aquafaba (liquid from the can chickpea or garbanzo beans)
- Lemon juice
- Pinch of salt (omit if you don’t use salt)
- food processor
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas save the liquid from the can
- 1/4-1/2 cup aquafaba Liquid from the chickpea can
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Drain chickpeas from the can and save the liquid from the can.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, paprika and cumin to the food processor.
- Next add water and 1/4 cup of the aquafaba. Blend until smooth. Add additional aquafaba depending on how thick you want the hummus
- Pinch of salt optional
For this basic oil free hummus you can easily create different flavors by adding in some fresh basil, roasted peppers, tomatoes and you can create different types of hummus.