These Lentil tacos are grain free, vegan, high in protein, fiber and gluten free. They’re easy to make and add to you favorite tacos, burritos, taco salad, nachos or taco bowls. This recipe is also easy to make in advance and to use later in the week for a quick simple healthy meal. Also, the lentil taco mixture is freezer friendly and great for meal prepping for the week ahead.
I like this dish because it’s quick to make and involves easy ingredients to have on hand. Another plus is this lentil taco mixture can improve many other meals as well. If you like cooking without a recipe and whipping something up, this is a easy filler for your meals.
Can I Freeze the Lentil Taco?
Yes! This lentil taco mixture is freezer friendly and great for meal prepping for the week ahead.
Some Nutritional Info on Green Lentils:
Green lentils are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates. Lentils are also a good way to feel full and satisfied.
What about as a protein source? Half of cup of cooked green lentils provided 12 grams of protein. You can quickly have your protein requirements with 2 tacos and additional veggies on top. Plus all the other nutritional value of eating lentils like fiber, iron, potassium, and manganese comes along for the ride! For more nutritional information lentils click here.
Lentil Taco Ingredients:
- Green Lentils
- Chili Powder
- Vegetable Broth or Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How to make the lentil taco?
- It’s important to first rinse the lentils before cooking to remove any dirt.
- Next start sautéing the diced onions for a couple of minutes until soft. Add a little water to the hot pan so the onions don’t stick. Next add in the minced garlic.
- Add in the spices, then stir and add in the rinsed lentils and liquid.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 25-35 minutes on low simmer until the lentils have become tender. You may add additional liquid to the lentils as needed and additional time to cook.
- Once the lentils are tender you can drain any extra liquid and set aside.
- Add salt and pepper for taste
- Refrigerate or freeze the lentils for a later time
Preparing your Tacos!
Warm up your corn tortilla based on the instructions. Add some rice, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado. Topped with Sriracha sauce is my favorite.
Tacos can be made in a variety of ways. You can have corn tortilla, rice, tomatoes, avocado added to your taco. Skip the taco shell all together and have a taco bowl with brown rice, lentil taco mixture, salsa and sriracha mayo sauce. It’s up up you!
Quick 2 Ingredient Sauce for your Tacos!
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp of Sriracha Sauce (more or less depending how spicy you like it)
- Mix together.
P.S. If you make this recipe, leave a comment below, share your pictures on Instagram and tag me with @plantbasedfoodylife … I’d love to see what you make!!!
Lentil Taco Filling
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 onion, diced about 1 cup
- 2 garlic, minced about 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste optional
- To a hot pan add onions and little bit water to saute the onion for about 3- 5 minutes until soften. Add in the garlic and stir. Saute for about a 1 minute. Add additional water if necessary to prevent from sticking.
- Add in the chili powder and cumin and stir. Add in the the rinsed lentil and liquid and stir.
- Bring to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are tender. You may need to add additional liquid to the pan if the lentils are not tender. Once the lentil are tender you can drain the lentil if there is any additional liquid remain in the pan.
- Set aside and prepare you tacos, burritos or taco salad.
Top with your favorite taco toppings
Top with cilantro, salsa, guacamole, and cashew cream.
1/3 cup vegan mayo
1-2 tbsp sricha sauce