Easy Mexican Tofu Scramble is packed with flavor and is quick to make for a weekend breakfast or dinner. If you want to recreate scrambled eggs or Mexican egg scramble, tofu scramble is a delicious option. You can whip this dish up very quickly. Crumbling up the tofu and chopping the veggies, and sautéing everything together, you have a meal in a short amount of time.
One of my favorite ways to serve this tofu scramble is on warmed corn tortillas topped with salsa, cilantro and avocado. So delicious! You can also serve with a side of toast and hash browns. It’s all good!
Ingredients for the Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Nutritional Yeast
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Red Onion
- Red and Green Bell Pepper
- Corn (Fresh or Frozen)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Quick Tip on Preparing the Tofu (Optional)
Above is my Homemade Tofu Press! Not too complicated and it does the job.
When you press the tofu, it will help release some of the liquid and the tofu will cook better and absorb the flavors.
How do you press the tofu? Wrap the tofu in a paper towel, or towel, and place in a bowl. Put a pan on top and something heavy like a can and let the liquid release for 15-30 minutes. Do this first, before you prepare the veggies.
How to make the Mexican Tofu Scramble:
- This is an added step. Pressing the tofu block in advance before you crumble the tofu helps release a lot of the liquid and the tofu will absorb the flavors and cook better.
- Once the tofu is pressed. Crumble the tofu into small pieces and mix in the lemon juice and salt. It resembles scrambled eggs.
- Texture resembles scrambled eggs.
- Chop your veggies into small diced pieces.
- Add a little water at a time to the sauté veggies since this is an oil free recipe. Start by adding the red onions and sauté for a couple minutes. Next add in the bell peppers and jalapeño and sauté for a couple of minutes. Adding in a little splash of water as necessary.
- Stir in the tamari, corn and the crumbled tofu and heat all the way through. Stir occasionally 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can use fresh or frozen corn, frozen corn adds a little extra liquid to the dish and helps blend the flavors together.
- Sauté everything together until warm and serve!
If you want more of an egg flavored tofu scramble you can add a pinch of black salt to the tofu. Black salt gives a scrambled egg taste and smell. (A little goes along way)
As an option you can warm up some corn tortillas and add the scramble topped with salsa, cilantro and avocado! This also makes for great leftovers.
The other halves of the bell peppers and red onion can used to make the hash brown potatoes. Make the potatoes first and while they are cooking make the tofu scramble.
Here is a a link to Oven Roasted Hash Brown Potatoes!
P.S. CLICK HERE for the new...FREE Plant Based Oil Free Salad Dressing Guide… which includes 7 Simple and Delicious oil free dressings and shopping list. GET IT NOW! (it includes an avocado lime dressing that would go great with the tofu scramble)
Mexican Tofu Scramble
- 8 oz extra firm tofu pressed
- 2 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced and seeded (optional)
- 2-3 garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 water (as needed)
- avocado slices
- vegan sour cream
- corn tortilla
Press the Tofu before use. (Optional 10-30 Minutes)
- Remove the tofu from the package. Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and completly covered and place in a bowl or a dish. Add plate or cutting board on top of the tofu and weight it down with pan or something heavy like can of tomatoes. Let the liquid release from the tofu. 30 minutes is ideal but you can do for at least 10 minutes while prepping the vegetables.
Mexican Tofu Scramble
- In a bowl, crumble the tofu into the texture of scrambled eggs or small pieces. You can use your hand to crumbled the tofu or a fork or spoon. Add in the nutritional yeast, salt and lemon juice and set aside,
- In a large skillet, heat the pan over medium heat for an oil free saute. Add in the onions and 1-2 tbsp of water and stir occasionally for about 3-5 minutes
- Add in the bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno pepper and saute for another 5 minutes or so until the peppers are tender. You add in small amount of water (1-2 tbsp) if the ingredients start to stick.
- Stir in the tamari, corn and the crumbled tofu and heat all the through. Stir occasionally 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add in your favorite topping. Like salsa or cilanto