I discovered this recipe a few years ago and it really curbed my sweet tooth.
This recipe is easy, and includes only 2 Ingredients… Dates and water. Together they can create Date Paste, which is delicious and sweet and can be used in a lot of recipes.
Date Paste is something I make on a weekly basis. Toast with vegan butter used to be my go to snack. Also, Oil is something that I want to limit from my diet so Date Paste became a great substitute because dry toast just isn’t not my thing.
Dates are packed with fiber and are a great resource for a natural sweetener.
Here are some simple ways you can use date paste and curb your sweet tooth.
- Almond butter and date paste sandwich swap out the peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Spread for toast
- Great for salad dressing and marinaded
- Add to Smoothy
- Mix in your oatmeal
You’ll get the sweetness with some healthy side effects. Since they are high in fiber they can be great for constipation.
Check out this video from Dr.Michael Gregor that goes into detail about dates.
Here’s the recipe for Date Paste:
- 7 Medjool Dates
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- Soak Dates in a bowl of water 3-4 hours
- Once the dates are soaked, remove the pit from the dates. Squeeze the dates and remove the pit.
- Add the dates to a Vitamix and pour in ½ cup of water. A little water at a time to the consistency you want. And blend. Add additional water if you want to thin the paste out.
- Store in the refrigerator.
P.S. Date Paste can also be stored in the freezer. Great if you want to make a large batch and freeze some for a later use.