This is my new favorite cheese sauce... and it's dairy free and cashew free.
You can bring back your old favorites with out quilt! Or feeling horrible later. This plant based cheesy sauce is sooo good. Use it as a dip, soup, or top your favorite veggies.
This cheese sauce is a combination of boiled potatoes, carrots, salsa, spices and dairy free milk (Almond, Soy, etc. ) blended together. Create a sauce that you can top your tacos or burritos with. You can have cheese fries with out the guilt, especially if you bake your fries. I also topped off some bakes corn tortilla with black beans and cheese sauce.
It tastes very decadent without the quilt!
You can also freeze this cheesy sauce. I have been making it about once a week.
Corn tortilla mixed with black beans, tomatoes, cheesy sauce and tomatoes.
Bakes corn tortillas with canned black beans, cheese sauce with walnut "meat"
Baked fries with cheesy sauce. So delicious....
- Instant Pot
- 2 potatoes Yukon Potatoes, Russet, Red or potatoe of choice
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk Almond is my preference, you can use soy, hemp,
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
Instant Pot Potato & Carrot Prep
- Instant Pot...Add in the potatoes with skins on and add carrots with 2 cups of water and set the Instant Pot for 20 minutes with a natural release. (I added extra potatoes to use later if I am using the Instant Pot)
Stove Top Potato & Carrot Prep
- Stove Top:Add potatoes and carrots to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes and the carrots until fork tender. 30-40 minutes
Cheese Sauce Instructions:
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked add into a Vitamix or high powered blender. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Blend fro 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce in a pan on medium heat and stir constantly and bring to boil to thicken up. Stir for about 3-5 minutes. Serve.
- The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. You can also freeze the sauce and use as needed.
P.S. For oil free chips, get a bag of corn tortillas (I like Guerrero Corn Tortillas) and cut the individual tortilla in to quarter and place the chips on a lined baking pan with parchment paper and set the oven for 400 degrees. They bake in about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on them in the oven because the brown quickly.