Cowboy Caviar recipe is my kind of caviar. Made with all my favorite ingredients, black beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, avocado, fresh limes juice, cilantro and more. And in this recipe I let the flavors all come together and didn’t need any olive oil.
This is a great recipe to bring to a party and its easy to make a couple days in advance. It tastes great with some tortilla chips or as a topping on other dishes. One of my favorite ways is to top off a baked potato. I love the flavor of the cumin, jalapeño, the spices, sweetness of the corn and the tomatoes.
What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy caviar recipe originated in Texas and is sometimes called Texas caviar. It was originally created by a lady named Helen Corbitt in the 1940’s for a New Year Eve Party. She wanted to bring more flavor to black eyes peas and to create a dip that is normally served with chips.
Lots of people ask, “What can I bring to a party or family event that is Vegan and everybody will like? ” Cowboy caviar is great dish to bring to any event and is a real crowd pleaser.
What are the ingredients in the Cowboy Caviar Recipe?
- Black Beans & Black eyed peas
- Bell pepper
- Red Onion
- Spices: Cumin, Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper and Salt (Optional)
Tips on making this dish:
- Make all the ingredients similar size.
- When finished, let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour so all the flavors come together.
- You can use frozen or fresh corn. No need to thaw the corn since the dish will be refrigerated for at least an hour.
- Great dish to bring to a summer party or pot luck. This dish is served at room temperature.
- Cowboy caviar served with tortilla chips. You can use it to top a potato or sweet potato. Or, eat as a side all on its own.
How do you make this recipe?
- Make the dressing first. Consist of limes and the spices and mix together and set aside.
- Chop and dice up the vegetables to similar sizes
- Mix the veggies and the beans together in a bowl.
- Add the dressing to the beans and the veggies and stir.
- Refrigerate for about hour. You can make this dish in advance.
- 2 Tomatoes, seeded and diced Roma Tomatoes, Capri Tomatoes, 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 jalapenos, minced and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can black eyed peas
- 1 1/4 cup red onion, small dice
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup corn, thawed or fresh
- 1 cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch cayanne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch salt, season to taste, (Optional)
- Combine all the vinegrette ingredients in a bowl and whisk together
- In a large bowl add black beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, jalapeño, bell pepper, corn, avacado, red onion, cilantro and mix together
- Add in the vinegrette and mix with the cowboy caviar
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and ready to serve. You can serve with tortialla chips or top a taco.