Super tasty and crispy vegan bacon bits! It’s made with tempeh and is a perfect addition to any salad or veggie bowl. I was experimenting with tempeh and decided to mix in a great sauce I developed which lead to this amazing bacon bits recipe. IT adds a tangy crunch to your favorite dishes. They are baked in the oven, made oil free and you still get the crispy crunch with a lot of flavor.
If you use to like bacon or looking for meat alternatives, tempeh can be a great substitute. Tempeh is found in the refrigerated section of the grocery aisle and is made from soybeans. If you are worried about getting enough protein on a vegan diet, tempeh is packed with protein. Most people don’t realize that a 3oz serving of tempeh has 16 grams of protein. Tempeh also has no cholesterol and is a good source of vitamins and minerals. The trick is learning how to work with it! Which is pretty simple.
Crispy Vegan Bacon Bits Ingredients:
- Garlic Powder
- Maple Syrup
- Liquid Smoke
How to make the Vegan Bacon Bits?
Step #1: Steam the tempeh.
Steaming the tempeh helps soften the tempeh so it can absorb the flavors of the marinade or sauce. Steam your tempeh by placing the tempeh into a steamer basket fitted in a saucepan with a few inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pan, and let the tempeh steam for 15 minutes or so.
You don’t have a steaming basket? No problem, you can use a microwave to steam the tempeh. Steaming tempeh in a microwave is quick and less messy. Place the tempeh in a glass microwave-safe bowl with a lid and add 1/2 cup of water. Toss the tempeh to moisten. Cover and microwave on high 5 to 6 minutes or until the tempeh has softened and absorbed some of the liquid.
Once the tempeh is steamed, allow to cool for a few minutes while you make the sauce.
Step #2: Make the sauce.
In a bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients and whisk together.
Step #3: Tempeh Crumbles.
Take the steamed block and cut in half, length wise, and them cut into strips and then into small dices. The tempeh should be the size of small crumbles.
Step #4: Mix the tempeh!
Add the tempeh to the sauce.
Toss the tempeh in the liquid.
Drain the excess liquid.
Add the tempeh to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring about half way through, and allowing the tempeh to brown.
The crispy vegan bacon bits are ready to be served! You can store them in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. They are so good that they probably won’t last that long any way. Great to add to veggie bowl, a salad, or as a snack.
- 1/4 cup tamari Substitute: liquid aminos, soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Steam the tempeh. Steam the tempeh by placing the tempeh into a steamer basket fitted in a saucepan with a few inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pan and let the tempeh steam for 15 minutes or so. Turning halfway through. Microwave option: Place the tempeh in a glass microwave-safe bowl with a paper towel and add 1/2 cup water. Toss the tempeh to moisten. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high 5 to 6 minutes, or until the tempeh has softened and absorbed some of the liquid. Allow tempeh to cool for a minute or two before cutting into small pieces.All the temeph to cool for a few minutes before dicing into small pieces
- Make the sauce. While the tempeh is steaming you can make the sauce. Add the rest of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Once the tempeh is seatmed and cooled for 1-2 minutes cut the tempeh in half, then into strips and chop into small dices.
- Add the tempeh to the marinade. Toss the tempeh in the liquid. Drain and excess liquid and add the tempeh to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes and stirring about half way through and allowing the tempeh to brown.The vegan bacon are ready to be served! You can store them in the refrigerator for 5-7 day.