Cannellini Bean and Quinoa Skillet Recipe is a one pot meal that is made from whole foods plant based ingredients. This recipe includes healthy greens, beans, grains, and spices. Also, it’s packed with flavor and you will love the aroma the dish gives you as you are creating your meal from the garlic and onions coming together with the oregano, thyme and tomatoes.
In the video below, I’ve demonstrated an oil free sauté to create this Cannellini bean and quinoa skillet!
Reducing the amount of oil in your diet is a good way to help with weight loss and weight management. Why have the extra calories if you don’t need them. Oil is very calorically dense.
120 Calories for 1 tablespoon of oil.
Don’t worry about losing flavor. If anything, you will actually get to taste the complex flavors of the ingredients without diluting them with oil.
The No Oil Sauté technique:
- Just add a little bit of water to a hot pan before adding in the diced onions.
- The water should bubble and sizzle. If your pan is not hot enough the onions and the garlic will stick.
- Continue stirring once the onions and the garlic are added to the hot pan.
- You can always add additional water, but not too much.
What else is in this one pot dish?
Whole Food Ingredients in this dish include:
- Cannellini Beans
One of the best things about this dish is the aroma that’s created as all the flavors come together. This all happens within 30 minutes.
Two more tips:
- If you are serving kids you can add in some pasta to make it more kid friendly. This was actually my teenagers suggestion and he ate the whole thing. This is coming from a kid who is not a fan of kale. That surprised me too.
- To warm up the next day, you can add in a little bit water and sauté again.
Enjoy the dish and comment below with what you thought!
P.S. Email me a photo of your dish if you decide to make. I would love to see it.
All the best,
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 15.5 can cannellini beans
- 3 cups kale chopped substitute with spinach or greens of choice
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of water in a large pot over medium heat
- Saute onions for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute until soften additional 3-4 minutes. Add in additional water if pan gets too dry.
- Add tomato paste, rep pepper, oregano, thyme. Stir for another 30 seconds to a 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, vegetable broth and cannellini beans. Bring to a simmer
- Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. About 15 minutes
- Add kale and stir until wilted
- Garnish with fresh basila and fresh lemon juice.