Sweet potato bean burger is one of my families favorite burgers! It’s making me hungry just thinking about it… and it’s easy to make. This is a great burger for someone who wants to feel full and have something to bite into.
In addition, the sweet potato bean burgers are freezer friendly, great for meal prepping, and you can easily turn them into larger burgers or small sliders. And sometimes even crumbled into a taco or a burger salad.
My family and I have tried the new plant-based burgers on the market and we like these better. These burgers won’t weigh you down and are oil free. They’re loaded with beans, sweet potatoes, and walnuts that give a nice crunchy texture and flavor from the spices, onions and garlic.
The red kidney beans with the sweet potatoes give the burger a nice color.. maybe you can relate, I tend to eat to eat with my eyes first:)
Simple food swap with these ingredients:
- Red beans for black or chick peas
- Walnuts swap for equal parts oats (want to be nut free)
- Green onions for red or white onions
Tips on Making a Veggie Burger:
- Base: Mashed Beans, Potatoes or Both
- Binder: Grains, Grinded up Nuts, Flax or Chia seeds
- Seasoning: Flavor profile, cumin, paprika, onions, garlic, and endless flavor combinations
Having a burger that is healthy for me? Yes!!!
- Taste good √
- Simple ingredients to find √
- Easy to assemble √
- Loaded with fiber √ (fill you up)
- Great source of protein √
How do you assemble this burger?
First you want to cook the quinoa and the sweet potatoes, however this can be done in advance or the day before. Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. Fork tender. Mash in a bowl. Cook quinoa according to package. Normally takes about 15 minutes.
Open up a can of beans, drain them and rinse the beans. Add the beans and mash. Mash about half of the beans. Add the sweet potato and mash with the beans.
Add in the rest of the ingredients including the finely chopped walnuts and green onions. Mix together.
In addition, I find it easier to use my hands. For instance, if you have gloves and mix all the ingredients together with you hands the mixture blend together. This is when you really appreciate everything being vegan and plant based;)
With your hands it’s easy to mix all the ingredients together. As you go, you can taste the veggie burger mixture and see if it needs additional seasoning.
Line a baking pan with parchment paper and create 4 inch sized patties. I like to use a circular 4 inch cookie cutter to maintain consistency.
After the burgers are done you can top theme with you favorite toppings and Enjoy! Aside note, sweet potato bean burgers are freezer friendly.
- 1 15.5 oz Red Kidney Beans substitute with black beans or chick peas
- 2 sweet potatoes, baked approx. 2 cups
- 2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped substitute with oatmeal for nut free
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onions
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste optional
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the whole sweet potato on the baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes. Fork tender
- Cook the quinoa based on instructions from package. One cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil uncovered. Bring to a boil, turn down to a low and cover and cook for 12-15 minutes. This can be done ahead of time.
- Add a can of rinsed kidney beans to a bowl and mash approximatly half of the beans. Add in the sweet potatoes and lightly mash. Add in the quinoa and mix together. Add in the rest of the ingredients. The spices, onions and tamari.
- With your hand or a spoon you can gently mash the ingredients together until it creates a ball that does not fall apart. Taste the burger ingedients and see any additional seasoning is needed.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Create 3-31/2 inch sized patties. I like to use a circular cookie cutter to get a consistent size.
- Bake for 40 minutes and turning half way through.
- Ready to be served
- Once cooled, the burger can frozen and reheated as you need them