Sour cream was one of my favorite things that I used to eat. Whether it is used for dip for roasted potato fries or used on nachos. I have a created a recipe that is completely dairy free and plant based.
The cashew sour cream can be used as a substitute for most of your recipes.
The base of the sour cream is made with cashews. Cashew are great ingredient for making nut based cheeses and spreads. The mild flavor makes it very versatile. The trick is to soak the nuts for at 4-8 hours, so they become soft and blend easily in the blender.
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½-3/4 cup of water, or as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- pinch smoked paprika
1. Place the cashews into a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for a few hours or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the cashews
3. Add the cashew and the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, nutritional yeast. Blend in a Vitamix or high speed blender until you reach a smooth consistency.
4. Add water slowly to reach the desired consistency. The less water added the thicker the sauce.
5. Scape the sides of the blender and continue to blend or pulse till smooth.
6. Transfer to a dish add a pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
This Cashew Sour Cream can be used as a substitute for traditional sour cream. Refrigerate for up to 7 days or can be frozen for a month.