How do you eat at a restaurant as a vegan or plant based person?...it actually isn't that difficult.
When talking with people who think about wanting to go vegan or transition to a plant based diet. One of their concerns is how do you go out to eat? How do you socialize?
Making dinner at home is best because you can control what type of food you are eating and you know exactly what is on your plate.
But hey... sometimes you want to go out to eat or enjoy a new restaurant. It's fun to socialize and try out new places whether you're on vacation, traveling or want to go out in your area.
(....Or maybe you just don't feel like cooking)
Qdoba - Taco Salad without the shell.
Double checked to see how the beans were made. (No lard)
Above is a pizza that I had customized. I told them to skip the cheese and add on veggies, specific greens and asked if they had any balsamic vinegar? They did and they topped the pizza off with balalalmic glaze (one of my favorites)
Tips on eating out at Vegan and Non-Vegan Restaurants
1. Check the the menu and see what options are available...
- Are there beans anywhere on the menu? What kind of veggies do they have?
- Usually they can custom make something for you... by swapping out different ingredients.
2. Be nice to your waiter... Tell them you are vegan.
3. Ask questions.... How do you cook your beans, do you use lard? Is the soup made with chicken or beef stock?
4. Hold the cheese...Ask for a pizza with veggies and hold the cheese
5. Call in advance to ask and look at the menu online.
6. Ask your waiter whether they have any vegan options? Or, can the skip adding any extra oil?
7. If you feel uncomfortable asking... do it anyway. Most people don't mind but it is in how you ask of course...
I've even said that I don't mean to be a pain but do you mind if we switch up this (chicken, fish, etc) with that added broccoli, greens, beans etc.
What are your favorite places to eat and dining tips?
Remember to enjoy yourself!
P.S. The more we ask for plant based or vegan option in restaurants the more options we will have.